Re: Documentation for ode solver options

From: Jacopo Corno
Subject: Re: Documentation for ode solver options
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 10:41:20 +0200

On 16/10/2016 19:38, Carlo de Falco wrote:

Il 16 ott 2016 7:06 PM, "Rik" <address@hidden> ha scritto:

> 10/16/16
>
> Carlo,
>
> One of the goals of Octave is to be a viable replacement for Matlab.
> However, when I look at the ode solvers, and the list of options returned
> from odeset, there is no documentation for the 23 possible tuning
> parameters for the algorithms.  This is okay for people who just need to
> run m-files that they have already developed and debugged in Matlab.  But
> we're not a good replacement if we say that you *must* use Matlab
> documentation in order to understand how to code in Octave.
>
> Documentation changes can be made on the stable branch at any time, so this
> doesn't need to hold up the 4.2 release.  But it would be nice to have this
> done as early as possible, maybe for the 4.2.1 bug fix release.  I filed a
> bug report to keep track of this:
> https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?49360.
>
> --Rik

Jacopo,

IIRC such documentation is present in the odepkg manual. Could you prepare a patch to move it into the odeset help?

Carlo,

the documentation is there and is quite extensive. Would it make more sense to prepare a patch for the doc file diffeq.txi and maybe add just a reference in the odeset help?

Jack

c.

--

Jacopo Corno M.Sc.