Re: Default merged to stable for upcoming 4.2 release

From: c .
Subject: Re: Default merged to stable for upcoming 4.2 release
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2016 18:51:22 +0200

On 29 Sep 2016, at 20:00, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:

> I've merged default to stable for the upcoming 4.2 release.
>
> Any changes that should be a part of the 4.2 release should be made on stable
> now and (eventually) merged back to default.  The default branch is open
> again for any development, not just bug fixes related to the release.
>
> If changes that need to be part of the release are accidentally made on
> default, they can always be grafted on to the stable branch.  But it would
> better to make them on stable initially.
>
> jwe

Hi,

Now hat the default branch is open again for development I'd
like to start pushing the code produced by the SOC students this
summer.

Cris' work on iterative solvers will go in first as it is the least
invasive and only needs very little style adjustments, which can be
done after the push.

Francesco's code for DAEs still needs some cleanup especially
for parameter validation in the solvers, furthermore it introduces
a new dependency for Octave on Sundials so it will take at least
a couple more weeks before I push it.
Nonetheless, I'm trying to extract from it a working version of
odeset/odeget wichich could go even on the stable branch if I finish
it in time.

This means most new stuff for ODEs in core will appear only
in 4.4 therefore the time to make a 4.2-compatible release of odepkg
is now, and that release should also include the exponential integrators
developed by Chiara. (@Jack can you test the curren version of odepkg with
the 4.2 release candidate?)

I' working on the patches in BitBucket repo here:
https://bitbucket.org/cdf1/octave
in case you want to look at the code, but I'll close the repo
once everything is pushed.

Any comments, suggestions, objections?

c.