Re: Matlab 2016b introduces automatic broadcasting and functions in scri

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: Matlab 2016b introduces automatic broadcasting and functions in scripts
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2016 16:58:52 +0100

On 21 August 2016 at 16:35, Sebastian Schöps <address@hidden> wrote:
> Carnë Draug wrote
>> Should we stop giving language-extension warnings for automatic
>> broadcasting?
>
> On the contrary: I would be very very happy, if I could make Octave through
> an error if a "user" function uses broadcasting but this is not possible,
> right? - It's a debugging nightmare if you are teaching Matlab/Octave
> classes.
>
> Sebastian

No, that is not possible.  Octave 4.2 will already reintroduce the
broadcasting error id as it was in 3.8 so you could set that to give
an error.

However, because setting of an error state is not lexically scoped
this would cause Octave functions that make use of broadcasting throw
an error too.  There is a patch on the tracker that adds a new option
for lexically scoped error states but is not going to be included in 4.2.

I'm actually quite curious about how Matlab will handle this.

Carnë