Re: GSoc 2016: Final Reviews required

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: GSoc 2016: Final Reviews required
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2016 19:21:25 -0700

> On Aug 20, 2016, at 4:00 AM, PhilipNienhuis <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> AMR_KELEG wrote
>>
>> PhilipNienhuis wrote
>>>
>>> AMR_KELEG wrote

>>> Amr,
>>>
>>> Some test results.
>>>
>>> I installed the header files belonging to boost-1_61-0.7z in
>>> /usr/include. 134 MB on disk, quite a bit IMO. (entire boost download
>>> would expand to 555 MB,still more excessive).
>>>
>>> Next I've cloned your repo and made a geometry-3.0.0 package from it
>>> (incl. bootstrap)and built geometry-3.0.0 on both Linux and Windows.
>>> In both OS-es, pkg install mentions that "dissolve" isn't found and that
>>> boost needs an upgrade to >= 1.6 (while I have 1.61.0).  Do I need to
>>> install additional boost stuff alongside just the header files?
>>>
>>> Then I tried the examples on the Mathworks site.
>>> (http://nl.mathworks.com/help/map/ref/polybool.html).
>>> A little worrying is that when trying the second example set, Octave
>>> crashes hard on the poly2fv call in the sixth block (subplot 2, 3, 6),
>>> both on Linux and Windows.
>>> Can you manage to fix that, please?
>> Dear Philip,
>>
>> I don't think you need to install additional boost stuff alongside the
>> header files.
>> This means that the dissolve header file that is extracted from the Boost
>> Geometry 1.60 extensions isn't working with Boost Geometry 1.61 .
>> IMO,I can add the new version of dissolve header file that is part of the
>> Boost Geometry 1.61 extensions to the package and add some checks to
>> choose between the two header files.
>> So,what do you think?
>
> That might be a good idea. But see below as regards boost versions.
>

>> I tried the Matworks second test and it's working smoothly.
>> So,I attached a screenshot of the test/output figures.
>> Screenshot_from_2016-08-20_05-32-50.png
>> <http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/n4679337/Screenshot_from_2016-08-20_05-32-50.png>
>>

> To be sure I uninstalled boost-1.61.0 and downgraded to / installed
> boost-1.60.0
> Sure enough, the Matlab example went without a hitch then.
>
> It not very reassuring that the polygon operations do not work with current
> boost but only with the previous version..... :-)
> I'd prefer that the polygon operations work with newest boost versions.
>
> BTW
> I find that installing geometry-3.0.0 (beta) from your github account takes
> a very long time to finish (some minutes) *after* the last compile and copy
> step. Would you by any chance know what is happening then? Just copying the
> binary modules into place shouldn't need that much time IMO.
> But maybe it is just the polybool compile step that takes so long;
> installing packages is multi-threaded these days so it could be that the
> copy step is just hanging until polybool compilation is finalized.
>
> Anyway, as I announced earlier this week I've made a start with comparing
> [...]

I think we still need to make another tweak to the makefile.in. The only
feature of the polygons that is version dependent is the self-intersection
correction (they call it the “dissolve” algorithm). Everything else should work
as-is. The dissolve function is currently in the development repositories, but
not in the releases. I was under the impression that the 1.60 dissolve worked
for both 1.60 and 1.61, but I guess that isn’t the case.

There should be two scenarios, though both should work with different levels of
functionality:

1) all functions should work without self-intersection correction for
Boost.Geometry > 1.57
2) all functions should work with self-intersection correction for
Boost.Geometry > 1.60

I will take a quick look and help Amr figure out why it isn’t doing the
conditional compile of the self-intersection correction.

John