Re: Deprecated LAPACK routines (GSVD)

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Deprecated LAPACK routines (GSVD)
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2016 10:06:43 -0400

On 08/05/2016 04:13 PM, Francesco Faccio wrote:
Nir wrote:

<< is there a way of testing which LAPACK function is available in a
given instance?

Hi Nir,

I think you can test it in configuration time. In file configure.ac,
after the check for LAPACK and BLAS library you can write something like:

Yes, you can write a configure test, but LAPACK and BLAS are libraries that people expect to be able to swap out at run time with other versions. We can't know which ones those will be at configure time. So we could test, but then Octave might fail if a different library were used after installation. The mode of failure might be that it fails to start because of a missing symbol (not too bad) or it just fails when attempting to call the missing function (not so good). OTOH, maybe we shouldn't care about that more than to document what subset of functions from LAPACK and BLAS that Octave uses directly.