4.2 Release Strategy

From: Rik
Subject: 4.2 Release Strategy
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2016 08:24:08 -0700

6/29/16

jwe,

We have used the Wiki to track important bugs for the last two release
cycles, but I don't mind trying something different.

If we want to switch to Savannah then I would use the criteria that any bug
with a severity greater than 4 must be fixed before the release.  And to
begin with, all bugs in the "Crash" and "Configuration and Build System"
categories should be elevated to a severity of 4.  As the bugs are triaged,
those which won't be fixed can have their priority lowered back to 3 -
Normal.  It would probably be a good idea to leave a comment saying that
the bug was reviewed for the 4.2 release, but was determined not to be a
blocker.

It still is important to capture information about which bugs are important
to users.  We could re-purpose the 4.2 Bug List page to be a list of bugs
proposed by users to be fixed before the release.  Alternatively, it seems
Savannah has a voting system.  I've never used it myself, but we could ask
users to upvote the bugs they consider most important.

Thoughts?  I think we should get our ducks in a row in the next day or so
as people are already starting to work on the release.

--Rik