Re: Need test of patch for OS X

From: Alexander Hansen
Subject: Re: Need test of patch for OS X
Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 14:25:23 -0700

On May 10, 2016, at 14:01, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:

On 05/10/2016 04:54 PM, Alexander Hansen wrote:

I haven’t delved into the details, but one issue might be that .oct files are built as what OS X terms as bundles rather than as what it terms as “proper" shared libraries, and I believe there are some differences in how the two classes of objects can be dynamically opened.

Pointers to docs would be useful.  Not all of us are born with the iThing gene that makes these things intuitive...  :-/

jwe

Understandable.  I definitely don’t find it intuitive.

Here are some additional links besides what Marius just sent out.

My understanding based on http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2339679/what-are-the-differences-between-so-and-dylib-on-osx is that current OS X versions should allow dylibs to be dlopen()ed and dlclose()d if they aren’t using the older API.

An Apple article covering loading code at runtime: https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/MachOTopics/1-Articles/loading_code.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40001830-SW1

—akh