Re: Regarding GSOC 2016

From: Nir Krakauer
Subject: Re: Regarding GSOC 2016
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 12:41:00 -0400

The main things students can do to make their applications more competitive are to show strong interest in and ability to do the proposed project. As described in the Wiki [1], this typically involves interacting with the Octave community over a period of time, making substantive contributions to Octave in the form of patches and bug fixes, and preparing a well thought out application that shows understanding of the subject matter and tasks.

Unfortunately, given the number of slots Google gave us, we were not able to accept all the strong GSoC proposals. The steps we followed this year to select proposals were
(1) Volunteer mentors recruited from the Octave community via this list
(2) Mentors reviewed all applications and indicated which ones they were willing and able to mentor
(3) Mentors were asked to prioritize the finalist applications using the criteria above as well as the perceived importance of the different topics.
(4) The top-ranking proposals (up to the number of slots Google assigned to us) were then recommended for acceptance.

For the particular topic you proposed, one barrier is the lack of an available mentor [2]. If you want to do a similar proposal for next year, I would suggest moving forward on some of the CLI items and getting feedback on them on this list and IRC. Doing so will demonstrate more clearly that you are prepared to take on this topic, and is likely to attract attention from veteran contributors, who can then perhaps be induced to serve as mentors.

[1] http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#Steps_Toward_a_Successful_Application
[2] mentor "Undetermined" in http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#Command_line_suggestion_feature