Re: Finding Octave's memory use breakdown

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Finding Octave's memory use breakdown
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 09:43:02 -0400

On 04/25/2016 05:34 AM, LachlanA wrote:
Juan Pablo Carbajal-2 wrote
On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 5:42 AM, LachlanA <

lachlanbis@

> wrote:

Is there a way to find out where Octave is using memory?  I often find
that
Octave is using say 2GB, but "whos" shows only a few hundred megabytes in
variables.

See if memory from here helps you
https://github.com/kakila/macgyver_utils/blob/master/memory.m

Thanks, Juan Pablo, but that seems to show only the information available
from top or ps.  I'm interested in a _breakdown_ of how much is use to store
variable overheads (and how much for each variable), how much is parse trees
(and how much for each tree), how much is libraries, how much is Octave's
own code, and what else there is.

I don't see how you could get that information without modifying Octave to track and categorize its own memory allocations.