Octave Forge Project Leader Elections

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Octave Forge Project Leader Elections
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 21:04:44 +0100

Hi everyone

For those who are not aware, the Debian Project Leader [1] position changes
every year.  I don't know why they do this, but seems like a good idea to me
for several reasons (I'm not going to repeat here why some countries have
elections to change representative and or government).

In Debian, there's a proposal phase where developers can nominate themselves
or others for the post (they can refuse).  Then there's a discussion phase.
Finally there's private votes.  Rinse and repeat every year. (see section 5.2
of Debian Constitution [2].

The details of the elections can be different from Debian:

I think that 1 year in the post is too short.  I would say that it should
be at least 2 years.

I'm unsure about electability.  I would say that this position requires a
deep involvement with Octave core and so I would argue that this person
needs to be an Octave developer too.  But this opinion is based on my
vision of Octave Forge and the duties of the post so this opinion may be
rubbish.

Carnë

[1] https://www.debian.org/devel/leader
[2] https://www.debian.org/devel/constitution#item-5