Re: SoC update: evaluating student applications

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: SoC update: evaluating student applications
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 20:42:16 +0100

On 28 March 2016 at 15:26, Nir Krakauer <address@hidden> wrote:

> We got 20 student applications for GSoC. We need to evaluate them and
> request slots from Google by April 11. We currently have 7 possible mentors
> signed up, who will also do the evaluation. I expect we'll give priority to
> projects that will extend Octave in ways that are helpful to a larger
> portion of our user base, and to students who have demonstrated ability and
> willingness to contribute to Octave. Also, a project will need to have at
> least 2 potential mentors (main and backup) signed up for it to be
> recommended. Let me know if you want to be added as a mentor.

What is being used to discuss the several projects and students?
I remember that last year there was discussion of the projects on
melange but I can't find any now, and some projects already appear
starred.

Also, last year each mentor could rate each of the project.  This
new website does not have that capability.  In the GSoC mentors
mailing list it is said that was dropped because most orgs ended up
using their own infrastructure to vote for projects anyway (most
seem to be using a shared google spreadsheet for the voting).

What will we be using?  Or are we already using something that I missed?

Carnë