Re: pipes in Octave on Windows? (was: Re: optim, struct, parallel: pre-r

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: pipes in Octave on Windows? (was: Re: optim, struct, parallel: pre-release check on Windows?)
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 10:28:37 -0700

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 19:00:28 +0200, Olaf Till wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 09:48:15AM -0700, Mike Miller wrote:
> > Yes, the Octave binary installer is not the same as Octave on Cygwin.
>
> Could you be more explanative on this? From roughly glancing at the
> web page info on this I got the impression that Octave is cross-built
> by mxe for cygwin (so cygwin would have to be included into the
> installer ...?) -- so this is wrong? I'm willing to consider Windows
> in maintaining packages, but I wouldn't like to dig into the internals
> of building a windows installer myself; these should rather be
> documented somehow.

Correct, mxe is a cross-building environment, but it builds Octave for
Windows using the MinGW runtime and compilers, not Cygwin, they are
different projects with different approaches.

Building the installer is documented and should be trivial for anyone
with enough time and CPU cycles to do it, see
http://wiki.octave.org/Windows_Installer.

As a package maintainer, the salient point is that native Windows and
Cygwin have some similarities but are different operating environments
that need to be tested individually. There are preprocessor macros and
the ispc/isunix functions to differentiate them if needed.

--
mike