Re: [OT] zip [WAS: GNU Octave 4.0.1 Released]

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: [OT] zip [WAS: GNU Octave 4.0.1 Released]
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2016 09:07:02 +0900 (JST)

> From: Philip Nienhuis

> To: Tatsuro MATSUOKA ; "octave-maintainers
> Cc: @
> Date: 2016/3/25, Fri 20:19
> Subject: [OT] zip [WAS: GNU Octave 4.0.1 Released]
>
>T atsuro MATSUOKA wrote:

What compression algorithm do you use for 7-zip?
The compression ratio of 7-zip depends on the algorithm.

Default setting of windows 7zip file manager uses lzma compression and
high compression ratio is accomplished.

I compressed the octave-4.0.1 install folder three methods

zip bundled with windows:
 356,545,692 byte
zip on msys on octave (zip -mro9):
 352,808,872 byte
7 zip with the lzma algorithm
 184,109,838 byte

7zip with lzma algorithm is far effective for compression.

Tatsuro