Re: regarding GSoC 2016

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: regarding GSoC 2016
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2016 23:18:50 +0100

On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 6:14 PM, Philip Nienhuis <address@hidden> wrote:
> Carnë Draug wrote:
>>
>> On 25 March 2016 at 07:57, PhilipNienhuis <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>
>>> Carnë Draug wrote

>>> IMO they better fit in the geometry package. That already contains
>>> several
>>> functions that operate on polygons.
>>> Until recently oc_polybool() actually was in there, it was removed (as
>>> JuanPi told me) because its author wanted so (it's now in octclip).
>>>
>>> Philip
>>

>> The functions proposed on the projects page are polybool, ispolycw,
>> poly2ccw,
>> poly2cw, poly2fv, polyjoin, and polysplit.  They all belong to the Matlab
>> mapping toolbox therefore would go into the Octave mapping package.
>

>     ? "...Matlab ... therefore..." ?
>
> That "therefore" comes a little quick for me.
>
> Until now I'm only sure that Octave strives to be Matlab-compatible in the
> sense of being able to run Matlab code. Good!
> But when did who decide that Octave should mimic Matlab beyond code
> compatibility and also copy less handy aspects? IOW, where is the basis for
> "... therefore..."?
>
> My motive is simply this:
> I find it much more natural to have functions sorted and divided into add-on
> packages according to what they do, rather then where they happen to be
> located in some commercial product that is required to keep a sometimes
> clumsy legacy around just because of its business model.
>
> New Octave users, not coming from Matlab, would expect functions operating
> on points, lines and polygons to be grouped together, and not scattered over
> separate "toolboxes" / add-on packages.
> Matlab users OTOH would quickly enough get used to "other" function
> locations. After all, Octave's "toolboxes" have no price tag hence no
> obstacle for installation AFAICS.
>
> Octave's mapping toolbox already has a (suggested) dependency on the
> geometry package for other functions than polygon operations.
>
> It's not that I'm pertinently against polygon operation functions in the
> mapping package. My motive is just what I wrote above.
>
> But I feel that the "decision", or lack of clear decision, about how far
> Octave should go to become a verbatim Matlab clone and thus also follow less
> logical/natural TMW decisions, is very implicitly made.  If the majority
> agrees, OK, then I'll shut up on this subject.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Philip

I share Philip's views on this. But of course when a matlab user
writes code that says "load mapping" (or whatever they do) I guess
compatibility would mean that code runs in octave as well... well... I
understand and like that we do not want to change algorithms written
for matlab because we do not match the functions and interfaces, but I
do not see how changing a single line (which as no code dependencies)
can be such a hassle.