[OT] zip [WAS: GNU Octave 4.0.1 Released]

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: [OT] zip [WAS: GNU Octave 4.0.1 Released]
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2016 12:19:53 +0100

Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:
----- Original Message -----

From: PhilipNienhuis
To: octave-maintainers
Date: 2016/3/25, Fri 16:52
Subject: Re: GNU Octave 4.0.1 Released

John W. Eaton wrote
  The Octave developers are pleased to announce the release
  of GNU Octave, version 4.0.1.

  <snip>
  An official Windows binary installer is also available from
  ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave/windows

Thanks.

Just curious:
The Windows "zip" is 256 MB and the Windows installer 182 MB.
Does the NSIS installer invoke such  superior compression?

Philip

I feel that zip is an out dated compression application.

Quite, yes :-)

Compression ratio of many installers is higher than that of zip.

However, as you know, zip is an only compression application that bundled with
windows.

You mean the "zip" ("Send to... compressed folder") built into Windows explorer? As to compression it's performance is, well, sub-optimal. Zipping up the installed octave-4.0.1 tree (32 bits + octclip package) to a .zip archive:
- MSYS zip: 322 MB (not bad... but doesn't open in Windows Explorer)
- 7-Zip   : 337 MB (hmmm... I expected better)
- Explorer: 348 MB (not unexpectedly the worst)

Still, compared to these figures the Windows zip for Octave-4.0.1 is skinny at 256 MB.

I usually use 7-zip for compression. The 7-zip compression application is
useful on windows.

Yeah that's my favorite as well; and it's also available on Linux. In fact, 7-zip can open & extract files from the 4.0.1 binary installer.

Philip