About a little question

From: Edward Sun
Subject: About a little question
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2016 00:14:02 +0800

Dear Sir,
    My name is Zhiqing SUN. I am a freshman in Peking University, China and major in Computer Science. And I want to take part in GSoC and work on Octave Project as I sometimes use Octave to calculate matrices.
   But there is a small problem that although I have learned coding for six years and have gotten good grades in China's NOIP. I think I am good at understanding and implementing algorithms. And I think I will get good grades in ACM this year. My Advanced Algebra score is also very good. But I am not familiar with big project at all. For example, I don't know how to fix the bugs in Short projects and how to  subscribe them. I am feeling very worried now. Would there be anything I can do? Could you give some advice?
Yours Sincerely
Zhiqing SUN