Re: Compile error in latest repository tip

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Compile error in latest repository tip
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2016 13:22:11 -0800

On Thu, Mar 03, 2016 at 15:05:50 -0600, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
> That option apparently fails:
>
> configure:6623: gcc -std=gnu11 -c -g -O2  conftest.c >&5
> cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-std=gnu11"
> configure:6623: $? = 1
> configure: failed program was:
> | /* confdefs.h */
> | #define PACKAGE_NAME "GNU Octave"
> | #define PACKAGE_TARNAME "octave"
> | #define PACKAGE_VERSION "4.1.0+"
> | #define PACKAGE_STRING "GNU Octave 4.1.0+"
> | #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT "http://octave.org/bugs.html";

There are a few sets of options that are tried, some of them will fail.

Anyway, I remember now that when I build with gcc 4.4 the test does fail
so I have to build with CXX="g++ -std=gnu++0x". Try setting that in your
environment or on the configure command line and see if you can build
(you may run into bug #47212).

> Version?  Abacus-age, probably.  I might switch from RedHat (14?) to Mint,
> maybe this summer sometime.

Ok. Well we are trying to take advantage of some newer C++ capabilities
while still being as backwards compatible as is reasonable, it's a work
in progress. But if you want to follow the development branch it would
be best to be using a modern compiler.

--
mike