Re: closing Octave-Forge svn repository

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: closing Octave-Forge svn repository
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2016 11:43:57 +0000

On 1 March 2016 at 10:44, c. <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 1 Mar 2016, at 10:48, Carnë Draug <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>>> for ocs I would rather use GIT as it's main repo has already been moved to
>>> a separate
>>> server, so we can keep the two in sync.
>>
>> But if you have already converted it to git what is there for me convert?
>> Did you convert its history or just created a new one?  Where is it?
>
> Don't we need a repository on OF to sync with before each release?

Yes.  But I didn't realize that for ocs development was happening somewhere
else.  "syncing" works when using a distributed VCS but svn is not one.

> Sebastian created a repository on a department server, but I'm not sure the
> code
> it contains right now is the correct one, so either you import the svn repo
> to a new git and then we pull from it or we do it the other way round, what
> would you prefer?

I am confused.  What do you mean it may not contain the right code?  Have
you already done any work on this other repository?  If I left it on svn,
what was your plan to move the history from this git repository to svn?

If the two repositories, OF svn and yours git, are not out of sync; and
if you can replace yours with one I import (which you suggest), do you still
need it to be a git repo?

This has nothing to do with my personal choice of VCS, it's just that I
already have a tested workflow to create individual hg repositories and
do not want to go investigate and test how to do it for git.

Carnë