Re: HTML export of profiler data

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: HTML export of profiler data
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 13:28:02 -0500

Hi Julien!

On 2016-02-25 09:07, Julien Bect wrote:
Le 24/02/2016 19:24, Daniel Kraft a écrit :
We could create a standalone CSS file that contains our rules (might be
more in the future, or we might also add JS files to enhance the report
even more).  This file could be installed in a /usr/share location, and
then referenced (at this location) from the generated HTML files.  This
seems like a cleaner way, although it means that HTML files may not be
portable to other machines -- not sure if that should be a design goal
or not.
In my opinion, the approach with a separate CSS file is cleaner. And it
is more efficient if you think of a complicated report made of several
HTML pages (which can share the same CSS file).

But being able to export a "portable" profiling summary, that can be
read by someone with a different version of Octave installed (or with no
Octave at all), would be a very nice additional feature.

Yes, I agree on both points.

a) going for the "separate CSS file" approach,

b) but copying the CSS file(s) from /usr/share/... to the directory
containing the report.

This seems like a good idea.  I will try it out unless others have
objections to this plan.

I agree that it would be good to have a single shared CSS file for temporary reports viewed from within Octave.

For files that are exported, is it unreasonable to insert the CSS in the HTML file itself? How large is the CSS data? I expect that people will forget that they need to transfer two files if they want to share the files with others.

Having two files may also complicate things for people who wish to view the files they receive. Will they be able to just view directly from a mail reader or web browser, or will they have to save the CSS file first before they can properly view the HTML file?HTML file?