Re: Latex interpreter via Mathjax + Qt

From: Oliver Heimlich
Subject: Re: Latex interpreter via Mathjax + Qt
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2016 23:07:20 +0100

On 11.01.2016 19:15, John Swensen wrote:

>> On Jan 11, 2016, at 10:09 AM, Michael Godfrey <address@hidden> wrote:
>>

>> On 01/11/2016 05:52 PM, Oliver Heimlich wrote:
>>> Also I disagree: This does not render well in my browser. The MathJax
>>> numbers use a different font with a different weight compared to the
>>> surrounding text, which looks very bad.
>>>
>>> Oliver
>> What browser are you using? On what system?
>>

> MathJax looks bad in Google Chrome on OSX unless I right click and go choose
> Math Settings-Math Renderer and select SVG as the renderer. The HTML-CSS,
> Common HTML (which was the default), and Fast HTML all look really bad for
> me.
>
> My test equations was:
> $\dot{x}(t) = A(t) x(t) + B(t) u(t) \\ y(t) = C(t) x(t)$
>
> In the poor cases, the dot for the derivative was too low and smashed into
> the x and the spacing for dependent variables and spacing between equation
> components seemed “off” compared to vanilla pdflatex. After choosing the SVG
> renderer, I couldn’t see a difference between the LaTeX output from LaTeXit!
> and from MathJax
>
> John S.

I have checked Iceweasel on GNU/Linux, Chrome on Android, and Opera on
Windows.  All have the problem that the MathJax font doesn't match the
surrounding text and the font weight is too high.  In Chrome on Android
the different font weights are not as bad, but still visible.  Switching
to SVG didn't help me—just produced anti-aliasing artifacts.

Then I tried w3m. The fonts weight differences are gone ;-) However, the
tex code became visible (that is the same problem that you have with
TexInfo and @math in non-tex output).

Oliver