Re: Latex interpreter via Mathjax + Qt

From: Oliver Heimlich
Subject: Re: Latex interpreter via Mathjax + Qt
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2016 18:14:53 +0100

Am 11. Januar 2016 17:26:20 MEZ, schrieb Michael Godfrey <address@hidden>:
>George,
>
>Improving the TeX/LaTeX handling in Octave is certainly
>a needed project. But, a few points:
>
>1. It would be good to look at the current implementation
>     which allows embedding LaTeX in label strings and
>     allows post-editing of the LaTeX before generating the PDF.
>     This has restrictions, and is not as simple as might be nice,
>     but it works. Using this path there is little need for Mathjax
>     since LaTeX is available.
>
>2. The use of Mathjax + Qt would more be for generation of
>     other formats such as html,  EPUB, etc. Mathjax is as far
>     as I have experienced the best path for getting well-formatted
>     math into files other than TeX/LaTeX.
>
>3. An end goal could be the implementation of "Octave" notebooks.
>     i.e. allow a text mode with Octave and supporting things like
>     Mathjax embedded. This would allow a text (i.e. TeX) source to
>     instantiate Octave results inline.
>
>These are just suggestions. You are welcome to join in the
>Octave project and help out as you see best.
>
>Michael

What is the best practice to insert math in TexInfo documentation? I haven't
found a good solution yet.

1. You could use math mode if output format is tex and ASCII art formulas
otherwise. This is currently done in Octave manual. The big disadvantage is
that the TexInfo document is not independent of the output format and you have
to write each formula twice. Also this looks poor in HTML output.

 2. You could typeset formulas with Unicode characters. I do this in a
package's documentation. The advantage is that you have only one input for all
output formats. This approach works for simple formulas only, the result looks
a little less good in tex and much better in plaintext+HTML. Coding the
formulas is a little bit more complicated and is more likely to contain errors
(e.g. if you forget to use non breaking spaces). Output of the help command
looks strange in Windows, which does not support UTF-8 at the moment.

3. Use the @math macro. Downside is that plaintext+HTML contain tex syntax. You
can probably fix the HTML with MathJax,  but the plaintext output will still
contain tex code.

Is it possible to input formulas only once and make them look good in all
output formats?

Oliver