Re: build_packages.m script, visibility?

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: build_packages.m script, visibility?
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2015 10:26:10 -0800 (PST)

JohnD wrote
>> From: Nicholas Jankowski <

> jankowskin@

>> To: Octave Maintainers List <

> octave-maintainers@

>> Subject: build_packages.m script, visibility?
>>
>> I was going to suggest to someone on the help list that they didn't
>> follow
> the
>> directions in the README to install the included packages, but then
> realized I
>> don't know if that user would have ever come across the information that
> he
>> should do so.
>>
>> is this information presented to someone after running the .exe
>> installer?
>> I didn't see any mention of it on the sites to get to Download page.
>> (Like
>> something on sourceforge where readme's get displayed on the file
>> download
>> page.)
>>
>> If it's not, what would be a convenient way to draw attention to it? Can
>> message be added to the 'installation finished' dialog? display the
> readme.html
>> by default following install?
>>

> By default, isn't the checkbox for displaying the README enabled?
>
> We could probaly add a reminder on the last screen of the installer to run
> the build_packages script, however whats the chances that anyone will take
> notice of that either? :)
>
> I had started looking at installing the packages in the build so that when
> installed vide the installer, everything is already there and then the
> build_packages script will not be required anymore.
> I'll try to get back to relooking at that.

Wasn't the issue that the cross-built-for-windows Octave executable had to
be run to "preinstall" the packages in the host (Linux) system?
A way out would be to reenable native MinGW builds. But I'm unsure if that
still works - I haven't tried it for ages.

Once there the NSIS stuff from e.g., the octave-3.2.4 installer can be
re-used (that has check boxes for individual OF packages). That code is
still somewhere in octave.sf.net

Philip