Re: automatic conversions to character strings

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: automatic conversions to character strings
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 18:01:20 +0100

On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 09:36:18AM -0500, John W. Eaton wrote:
> I'm beginning to think that value extractors that do implicit conversions
> are kind of evil.

What were the reasons for this concept of implicit conversions?

Maybe just relying on (implicitly converting) value extractors in each
case was a kind of misusing them, and actually e.g. .is_string()
should indeed have be called first in many cases ...

OTOH just only using value extractors is more convenient, and I don't
remember having had any use for these implicit conversions ...

Olaf