Re: default colormap

From: LachlanA
Subject: Re: default colormap
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 16:35:26 -0800 (PST)

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2 wrote
> Our users demand exact compatibility
> - Jordi G. H.

Greetings Jordi,

As a user of Octave, the degree of compatibility that I want is that if a
script runs under Matlab, it will run under Octave, and produce results that
are as useful as the Matlab ones.  I don't care if the colour scheme is
different as long as it makes visible the same features that are visible
under the Matlab scheme.  For example, if the Matlab scheme has the
intensity increasing roughly linearly with the colour value, then I'd hope
for that under Octave.

Ideally, if the colour produced by Matlab would be described in a caption as
"blue" or "red" or "green", then I would hope that that would also apply
under Octave, but I wouldn't care if the specific hue was quite different.

My vote, for what it is worth, is go steer clear of potential leagal issues
and have something that is near enough.  There are already several ways in
which Octave is deliberately incompatible with Matlab -- typically bug
fixes.