Re: Octave 4.0 on Mac OS Yosemite (with gui!)

From: Alexander Hansen
Subject: Re: Octave 4.0 on Mac OS Yosemite (with gui!)
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 17:17:21 -0700

> On Oct 5, 2015, at 17:13, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> Hi Alex,
>>>
>>> Opps. You are correct, I mis-typed. I’m using Fink, not macports … groan!
>>>
>>> Does Fink’s mesa work with the OpenGL Carbon framework?
>>>
>>> And what is the relationship between "system-pkgconfig-osmesa 8-1” and the
>>> mesa 7.0.2-3 package?
>>>
>>> Ben
>>
>> I don’t know much about it, but the last note from a maintainer said:
>>
>> Care needs to be taken to avoid system OpenGL,
>> if you want to use Mesa3d, while compiling, like
>> making sure that it's first in the linker's search
>> path. Otherwise, you get runtime errors.
>
> I’ll try changing that.
>
>> So my thought is that it isn’t compatible with OpenGL.framework
>>
>> system-pkgconfig-osmesa isn’t related to the mesa package at all—it’s an
>> indicator for the version of /opt/X11/lib/pkgconfig/osmesa.pc.
>>
>> —Alex
>
> The contents are …
>
> prefix=/opt/X11
> exec_prefix=${prefix}
> libdir=${exec_prefix}/lib
> includedir=${prefix}/include
>
> Name: osmesa
> Requires:
> Version: 8
> Libs: -L${libdir} -lOSMesa
> Libs.private: -lm -lpthread
> Cflags: -I${includedir}
>
> Sounds like an obviously stupid question … but … Any chance the X11 stuff
> would work the Carbon framework, or is it X11 only?
>
> Ben

Looks like not:

$ otool -L /opt/X11/lib/libOSMesa.8.dylib
/opt/X11/lib/libOSMesa.8.dylib:
        /opt/X11/lib/libOSMesa.8.dylib (compatibility version 8.0.0, current
version 8.0.0)
        /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current
version 60.0.0)
        /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
version 1197.1.1)