Re: OctConf 2015

From: Sebastian Schöps
Subject: Re: OctConf 2015
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2015 23:47:39 -0700 (PDT)

I will be around for sure :) However, here are some recommendations what to
do in Darmstadt.

Proposal for Saturday: Walk through the park "Schlossgarten" and visit the
palace. The palace is next to the city center (most shops should have open
at least until 8pm on Saturday). Then go to our multidisciplinary
"Landesmuseum" (entrancy fee 6 Euro). It is a beautiful building with a huge
collection and exhibitions from ancient Egypt to very modern art.

1. Herrngarten
Address: Schlossgartenstrasse, 64289 Darmstadt
Website:
http://www.darmstadt.de/darmstadt-erleben/sehenswuerdigkeiten/parks-und-gaerten/herrngarten/

2. Schloss (with another museum)
Address: Marktplatz 15, 64283 Darmstadt, Deutschland
Website: http://www.schlossmuseum-darmstadt.de/museum_engl.html

3. City center and tourist information
Address: Luisenplatz 5, 64283 Darmstadt
Website: http://www.darmstadt-tourismus.de/en/shop/the-darmstadt-shop/

4. Landesmuseum
Address: Friedensplatz 1, 64283 Darmstadt
Website: http://www.hlmd.de/
Wikipedia:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hessisches_Landesmuseum_Darmstadt

Proposal for Sunday: Do a long walk from the Hotel to "Mathildenhöhe", visit
the Museum "Künstlerkolonie" (5 Euro entrance fee), pass the "Rosenhöhe" and
finally go to the farm "Oberfeld" (where you can have coffee, cake, cookies
and some small things to eat):

1. "Mathildenhöhe" and museum "Künstlerkolonie"
Address: Olbrichweg 13a, 64287 Darmstadt
Website: http://www.mathildenhoehe.eu

2. Public rose garden "Rosenhöhe"
Ludwig-Engel-Weg 42, 64287 Darmstadt

3. oganic farm "Hofgut Oberfeld"
Address: Erbacher Str. 125, 64287 Darmstadt
Website: http://www.landwirtschaft-oberfeld.de

Additional sights:
1. former fire water lake "Woog" (where you can go for a swim, i.e., bring
your swim suits...)
Address: Landgraf-Georg-Straße 119, 64287 Darmstadt

2. residential building complex "Waldspirale" designed by the Austrian
artist Hundertwasser
Address: Bad Nauheimer Straße 21, 64289 Darmstadt
Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldspirale

Where to eat (a few suggestions, alphabetical order):
1. Biergarten, Dieburger Str. 97, 64287 Darmstadt (large beer garden, some
food, mainly beer:)
2. Grohe, Nieder-Ramstädter Str. 3, 64283 Darmstadt (typical German food and
beer)
3. Habibi, Landwehrstrasse 13, 64293 Darmstadt (vegetarian and vegan food,
middle east style)
4. Petri, Arheilger Strasse 50, 64289 Darmstadt (typical German food, also
some vegetarian dishes)
5. Ratskeller, Marktplatz 8, 64283 Darmstadt (typical German food and beer)
6. Vapiano, Rheinstrasse 103, 64295 Darmstadt (Italian food, self-service)

I collected all locations in one (Google) map:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zDkvInHBd-hU.k0aQNn3Cx8Zs&usp=sharing