Re: question about defining some handy makefile targets

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: question about defining some handy makefile targets
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 07:46:15 -0400

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 16:58:17 -0400, John W. Eaton wrote:
> I often find myself wanting to know what the value of a variable is in
> Octave's Makefile.

I typically do this with ad-hoc command-line inventions like

  $ echo -e "asdf:\n\techo \$(BUILT_DOC_IMAGES)\n-include Makefile" | make -f
/dev/stdin asdf

Is that simple enough to avoid having to define extra rules?

> Would anyone else benefit from having rules like these defined?

I'd probably use them if they were there :) If you think it's worth the
maintenance effort.

Might I suggest putting these types of rules in a build-aux/foo.mk
include file?

--
mike