Re: building mxe-octave: download of package src-msys-bash fails

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: building mxe-octave: download of package src-msys-bash fails
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2015 02:50:36 -0500

On 07/26/2015 02:16 AM, address@hidden wrote:
--- tmacchant
--- hg_code
Hello,

I am trying to build an Octave Windows installer (or zip-dist) for the
first time (for helping with bug #45610). I use an Ubuntu 14.04 linux
system. But I got stuck during the build process, could someone give me
a hint how to proceed?

Here is what I did so far:

* I have installed all the prerequisites packages for mxe-octave, as
listed for Debian systems in http://wiki.octave.org/Windows_Installer
* I cloned the mxe-octave repo
* I copied a small patch file (for bug #45610) into my local repository,
as mxe-octave-repo/src/stable-octave-1-patchname.patch
* in a command shell I changed to my local repository of mxe-octave and
typed the following commands:
* export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/default-java
* autoconf
* ./configure
* make zip-dist

Then the mxe-octave compilation procedure runs for some hours.
Eventually it stops and says something like "unable to download package
src-msys-bash". When I have a look at the (attached) log file, then I
see that mxe-octave tried to download
"bash-3.1.17-4-msys-1.0.13-src.tar.lzma" from three different servers. I
have tried all three web adresses directly with my web browser, and they
all return something like "404 - file not found".

Am I doing something wrong? How can I go on?

I would be thankful for a helpful hint. Thanks

      Hartmut

Perhaps JohnD will make full reply the above.
But I noticed that file name is not correct.
On MinGW+msys site, the corresponding file name is
bash-3.1.17-4-msys-1.0.16-src.tar.lzma but not
bash-3.1.17-4-msys-1.0.13-src.tar.lzma on
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/MSYS/Base/bash/bash-3.1.17-4/.

perhaps this is an origin of the error.

Unfortunately I am writing from my smart phone I cannot help you further now.

Tatsuro

Or bash-3.1.17-3-msys-1.0.13-src.tar.lzma might be correct.

Tatsuro

I just tried a search for that file. I see that the latest version of bash is stored on Sourceforge, and I guess Tatsuro indicated that above. If the older versions of bash are stored there (can you see the path when building?), it's probably that parts of Sourceforge have been offline for a week or so. In the mean time, maybe you can find it on the WWW or perhaps someone has a local copy for which you could point to on your system.

Dan