TISEAN: decision about porting a function

From: Piotr Held
Subject: TISEAN: decision about porting a function
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 12:17:32 -0600

Hi Juan,

I encountered a problem (more like a decision) about some of the functions. The problem is that the output is dependent on time (that is execution time). The reason why the TISEAN programs were implemented this way was to get some results without waiting for the program to finish (which I assume could have taken a very long time). What happens is that when a certain amount of time passes the program outputs wherever it's at and then continues on computing. This applies to 'lyap_spec', 'd2' and maybe others.

For further reading see:
* 'Description of output' section of: http://www.mpipks-dresden.mpg.de/~tisean/Tisean_3.0.1/docs/docs_c/lyap_spec.html
* lines 429-442 of: https://bitbucket.org/josiah425/tisean/src/cf22e24e3e20fbf7d8575929098d9ba08d296219/src/__lyap_spec__.cc?at=devel
* my discussion on github with 'heggus': https://github.com/heggus/Tisean/issues/9

The solution I thought of was to add an option to the program (similar to 'q' in 'more') that would terminate the program and return the latest output it had calculated.

What do you propose to solve this issue?

:)