Re: laguerre.m functions in specfun package

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: laguerre.m functions in specfun package
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 21:30:11 +0200

Carnë Draug wrote:
On 25 April 2015 at 15:56, Philip Nienhuis <address@hidden> wrote:
After Colin has tidied up a bit in the OF specfun package, I'm planning to
make a new release of it.

The package in the mercurial repo contains two laguerre.m functions, one in
inst/, the other in devel/

The latter looks to be a bit more elaborate (it contains a demo and perhaps
more aptly named variables), to compensate for that it is lacking a bit in
coding style and lacks the one comment line that was present in the original
(?) one in inst/.

So, any advice about which laguerre.m to retain?

"hg log" tells me this is work from Juan Carbajal who was trying to merge the
existing laguerre with laguerrepoly from the miscellaneous package:

     o  changeset:   144:88d235233c5e
     |  user:        jpicarbajal
     |  date:        Sun Apr 14 19:33:57 2013 +0000
     |  files:       devel/laguerre.m
     |  specfun: unifying laguerre and laguerrepoly

Also, the plan was to simply move the whole specfun package into the
unmaintained section.

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?44533#comment3

Hmmm, I missed that part of the discussion (although I commented there initially).

I wouldn't mind keeping specfun around a little longer, esp. now that Colin pimped the heaviside and dirac functions. His suggestion to move them to core is probably too late for 4.0.0 so I suggested to temporarily have them in a new specfun release, see https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/index.php?8644#comment4

As far as I'm concerned that could be the last specfun release then; it could have a dependency added on Octave < 4.2.0

So, what shall I do?

Philip