Re: Octave library version for release

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Octave library version for release
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 08:27:59 -0500

On 04/23/2015 07:25 AM, Mike Miller wrote:
Hey jwe, maintainers,

Sorry for bringing this up so late in the release cycle,

That's OK, I think this is something that should be done just before the release. At least you remembered! I suppose "update library versions" should be on a elease checklist somewhere.

but should
Octave 4.0.0 still be liboctave.so.2 / liboctinterp.so.2 or should the
version be bumped to 3? It seems that some things are not quite
backwards compatible, so programs or oct-files built against 3.8.2's
liboctave.so.2 may not work with 4.0.0's liboctave.so.2.

The rules for incrementing version numbers are described in the libtool manual:

https://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/libtool.html#Updating-version-info

I'm sure we've removed, changed, and added public interfaces to liboctave, liboctinterp, and liboctgui since the last release, so we should increment the first version number for all of the libraries and set the other two to zero as in the attached diff.