Re: [Octave Forge] [Patch] Remove OCTAVE_ALLOCATOR macros in fem-fenics

From: Eugenio Gianniti
Subject: Re: [Octave Forge] [Patch] Remove OCTAVE_ALLOCATOR macros in fem-fenics
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2015 12:20:02 +0000

> On 08 Apr 2015, at 13:22, Daniel Kraft <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hi all!
>
> Sorry if this is not the correct place to post this, but I didn't find
> any better one.
>
> The attached patch is necessary for me to make fem-fenics compile with
> the current Octave.  This is probably related to [1].
>
>  [1] http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/76478d2da117
>
> Any objections to pushing it (I *think* that I have write access to
> Octave Forge)?

I’ve never really caught the role of those macros, but for backward
compatibility it might be better to check the version of Octave fem-fenics is
being compiled against in the configure script, then remove the macros based on
this information, or leave them in place and define an empty macro to make the
compiler happy. I guess the best approach is to do as other maintainers did in
their packages. What is the common practice in this matter?

Eugenio