Re: Why Matlab/Octave cross-compatibility? (Was: GSoC 2015: Optimization

From: fgnievinski
Subject: Re: Why Matlab/Octave cross-compatibility? (Was: GSoC 2015: Optimization Package: Non-linear and constrained least squares lsqcurvefit, lsqlin, lsqnonlin)
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2015 18:20:40 -0700 (PDT)

The question is not whether a wrapper is necessary, but how many times it'll
be recreated independently.  As for the motivation, many people develop for
Matlab because they have access to it through school.  In my case, when I
open source code, I like to try and maximize the user base.  So I'm mindful
about making it Octave compatible if possible.  But if it looks like it'd
take an unreasonable effort, I just mark the code as Octave-incompatible.
Probably you don't hear many people complaining about the optimization
interface not being identical to Matlab's because most of us just move on.
-F.