Re: interested in "image IO" for GSoC 2015

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: interested in "image IO" for GSoC 2015
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 13:42:53 -0700 (PDT)

Carnë Draug wrote
> Better to keep the maintainers mailing list on CC.  Also, on the Octave
> mailing list, etiquete is to do interleaved or bottom posting which makes
> conversations easier to follow:
>
>   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Bottom-posting
>
> On 25 March 2015 at 03:08, Daniel <

> daniel27183@

> > wrote:
> <long snip>
>> My question would be, in which way it is more performance-wise and/or
>> effort-wise efficient or more manageable to write plugins/packages, using
>> java, macro, or C++ or .m? I have not done further investigation. I only
>> find several java source files in Octave. I will study it further.
>
> macros? There's no macros in Octave.  Other than that, an Octave package
> can have C++ and m files intermixed.  I have never written java code for
> Octave but take a look at how the old Octave java package did it.

The old Java package itself doesn't have too many Java-Octave code itself.
Furthermore several things have changed since the Java package got absorbed
in core Octave.

So, if you're looking for examples: in the io package there's a lot of Java
code for the spreadsheet I/O functions, including a number of workarounds
for Java stuff that won't work directly in Octave (and not even in Matlab at
all, workarounds or not).

Philip