Re: Interested in TISEAN package for GSoC

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: Interested in TISEAN package for GSoC
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 12:38:31 +0100

Please keep the mailing list always in copy.

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 2:15 AM, Piotr Held <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I implemented the 'henon' function like you suggested, that is as a m-file.
> What should I do with it? Should I send it to you? Should I upload it
> somewhere?

You can create a repository in Bitbucket (using mercurial).

> The way TISEAN was interfaced with Octave in that tutorial is really just
> calling the library from the system and reading the output. Is that how this
> project is suppose to be implemented?
Absolutely not!
Either link to the existing FORTRAN code and/or re-implement in C++.

If not, where can I read about other
> ways of connecting separate libraries to Octave. Would looking at how the
> control package was incorporated into Octave help in understanding what
> options there are out there?
Yes, looking at the control package will definitely help.
You can look at the Octave manual
https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Oct_002dFiles.html

> Should I try to create a list of which functions I would like to incorporate
> and in what order? And should I post that list on my octave wiki?
You will have to write an application to be selected for SoC, add this
list and a description of your plan to that application
Check the intro of this page
http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas

> :)

>> On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 11:33 PM, Piotr Held <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am interested in doing this project for GSoC. I have some experience in
>>> programming in C++ but have never done anything with Fortran. I thought this
>>> would be interesting to contribute because I can learn about how to make a
>>> package for Octave.
>>>
>>> So far I have compiled Octave from the sources successfully and have been
>>> playing around with it a bit.
>>>
>>> I was wondering what should be my next step?
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> Thanks for your interest.
>> The next step would be to download TISEAN
>> http://www.mpipks-dresden.mpg.de/~tisean/archive_3.0.0.html
>>
>> Compile it and get acquainted with the tutorials and functions interfaces
>> http://www.mpipks-dresden.mpg.de/~tisean/Tisean_3.0.0/
>>
>> This step is requiered before you make any implementation decision.
>>
>> You could also understand how TISEAN was interfaced with Octave/Matlab in
>> the past to decide which functions you want to port first.
>> http://www.agnld.uni-potsdam.de/~marwan/matlab-tutorials/html/tisean.html
>>
>> Note that there are many functions in the package (e.g. dynamical
>> functions like henon, etc...) that do not need to be ported to C++ since
>> they can be easily implemented in octave. That is this functions can be come
>> .m files, so maybe you want to start there once you are acquainted with the
>> package.
>>
>> Cheers

Good luck!