Re: Interested in TISEAN package for GSoC

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: Interested in TISEAN package for GSoC
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 14:09:53 +0100

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 11:33 PM, Piotr Held <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

I am interested in doing this project for GSoC. I have some experience in programming in C++ but have never done anything with Fortran. I thought this would be interesting to contribute because I can learn about how to make a package for Octave.

So far I have compiled Octave from the sources successfully and have been playing around with it a bit.

I was wondering what should be my next step?

Hi,

Thanks for your interest.
The next step would be to download TISEAN
http://www.mpipks-dresden.mpg.de/~tisean/archive_3.0.0.html

Compile it and get acquainted with the tutorials and functions interfaces
http://www.mpipks-dresden.mpg.de/~tisean/Tisean_3.0.0/

This step is requiered before you make any implementation decision.

You could also understand how TISEAN was interfaced with Octave/Matlab in the past to decide which functions you want to port first.
http://www.agnld.uni-potsdam.de/~marwan/matlab-tutorials/html/tisean.html

Note that there are many functions in the package (e.g. dynamical functions like henon, etc...) that do not need to be ported to C++ since they can be easily implemented in octave. That is this functions can be come .m files, so maybe you want to start there once you are acquainted with the package.

Cheers