Re: Benchmark for graphics in 4.0

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Benchmark for graphics in 4.0
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 20:43:48 -0400

> On Mar 9, 2015, at 6:08 PM, Pantxo Diribarne <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Le 09/03/2015 22:57, Pantxo Diribarne a écrit :
>> Le 09/03/2015 20:54, Andreas Weber a écrit :
>>
>>> Am 09.03.2015 um 09:13 schrieb Pantxo Diribarne

>>> Hi Pantxo,
>>>
>>> the used scripts are in octave-src/scripts/testfun/private/
>>>
>>> dump_demos creates a script with the demo blocks which can be run with
>>>
>>> FLTK, gnuplot and Matlab,
>>>
>>> html_compare_plot_demos fills the result to the html template.
>>>
>>> Btw, do you know http://wiki.octave.org/Plot_comparison?
>>>
>> Yes, I even edited it once :-) but my memory is more or less in my
>> bookmarks table, in which I forgot to put that page.
>>
>>> I can run the scripts for FLTK and gnuplot on 4.0-rc1 but haven't access
>>>
>>> to Matlab (I'm even unsure if the matlab scripts would run after the
>>>
>>> last changes which removed for example sombrero) and yes, I can host
>>>
>>> them on tech-chat.de
>>>
>> Thanks, I generated the script and will try to run it on Matlab soon.
>>
>>> -- Andy
>> Pantxo
>>
> I forgot, if we are to generate the plots separately we should probably use
> the very same script. I attached the script generated from the current dev
> although it should be identical with 4.0-rc1.
>
> Pantxo
>
> <dump_plot_demos.m>

Wow!. Lots of regressions since the last time this was run on Matlab.

Some simple things need to be fixed.

(1) In Matlab "!' is an alias for "system".
(2) Matlab recently introduced the "assert()" function, which is not compatible
with Octave's. In general tests should be avoided in demo scripts.
(3) Matlab does not use double quotes. So in demos all strings need to be
defined using single quotes.
(4) Matlab does not have a sombrero() function. The demos should avoid it.

That covers most of the changes needed to get the script to run.  I've zipped
the directory containing the modified script and all the output. I've also
included the command line output as "dump_plot_demos.txt" to help in tracking
down other errors I didn't catch.

        https://www.dropbox.com/s/c17g6xt2rkyi8w3/dump_plot_demos.zip?dl=0

To avoid regressions, would it make sense to write a test script that grabs all
the demos and checks for the incompatibilities above?

Ben