Re: Octave web update

From: Oliver Heimlich
Subject: Re: Octave web update
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 22:02:08 +0100

Am 27.02.2015 um 07:22 schrieb Daniel J Sebald:
On 02/26/2015 08:50 AM, Carnë Draug wrote:
On 26 February 2015 at 08:32, Richard Crozier<address@hidden>  wrote:

On 21/02/15 15:11, Carnë Draug wrote:

On 21 February 2015 at 13:45, Ben Abbott<address@hidden>  wrote:

On Feb 20, 2015, at 22:27, Mike Miller<address@hidden>  wrote:

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 12:57:25 -0500, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
wrote:
The web site is actually a CVS repo:

But even in a desktop, I don't really think the new design is better
than the current one. What problem exactly is the new design trying
to solve?

Marketing? Not a problem if you don't care if anyone uses Octave I
suppose.

The new website makes it look like the project is well supported,
including
by a wider community than just the core developers working on the
code. This
gives confidence to new users in the viability and continuation of the
project, for which the website is the first point of contact with the
project.

It is an unfortunate fact of the world that if you care about people
using
your software you have to make pretty pictures and stuff to advertise
it. It
gives the 'feel' of a project that's not just going to disappear to new
users, particularly enterprise, if this is a market you are
interested in.
Unfortunately it's just not enough for the product itself to be great.

The newer website looks amazing and was clearly produced by someone who
knows how to make a great (and professional) looking site. I for one
think
use should be made of the fantastic effort, rather than throw it in
the bin
and discourage anyone else with the relevant skills bothering to help
in the
future?

I guess you missunderstood my question.  My question was not why do we
need
a fancy and professional looking website.  My question was what on the
current website is the problem? What design choices are we talking about?
Because I don't really see the new one as looking better than the other.

Compare the support [1, 2] and get involved pages [3, 4]?  The new one
has
a top bar instead of a side bar, much bigger fonts, and a blue top
instead
of white.  Which of these make it look more professional?  I just don't
see it.

So on my question "What problem exactly is the new design trying to
solve?"
please be more objective.  The new proposed website has a textwidth
that I
feel is too wide and makes it hard to read (I have a 23' screen with
resolution 1920x1080).  The old one did not had this problem.  The
text lines
are also fixed and do not adjust with the window size (like wikipedia
does
for example).

Also, the new website has this blue background with square lines, with
the
text on a white canvas.  Scrolling moves the canvas but not the
background.
Because of this scrolling then becomes weird near the top and the
bottom of
the page because you are not really scrolling the page.  It's
unconfortable
the feeling that the page itself is reshaping.

I know design is a lot of personal opinion and taste but you need to be
able to point the problems to improve.  "Make it look more professional"
is not good, what is wrong with the current one that causes it to not
look
professional?  And does the new website addresses this problems?

I guess I'm with Carnë on this one.  The look of the proposed new
website is fine, but it isn't drastically better than the current
website, which I'm OK with.  That's not to discourage a new design,
especially if that design is more maintainable because of some webpage
layout software that makes it easy.  (I know little about how webpages
are done these days.)  However, I think it is a bit too near V4.0 to
move to a whole new design, especially when V4.0 itself is still taking
shape.

For my taste, the proposed website has one or two nice elements, say the
CAD-like blue background, but the fonts are too big and the main page is
too minimalist.  I don't know where this trend started (maybe it ushered
in with the iPod/handheld wave) but Fedora's webpage moved to this
minimalist approach where all one sees is a bunch of feel-good photos.
Where years ago it used to be screenshots, lists of software packages,
discussions, road map, and so on, now Fedora's webpage is just a few
sales slogans and "Download Now" buttons.  Perhaps developers went that
direction because of how often they update version numbers these days,
don't know.  The Gnome 3 environment falls in the same category.
Presenting an overload of info is always a danger, but so is presenting
too little.

That said, there could be plenty of work on the webpage for V4.0 because
the webpage doesn't quite convey where V4.0 is headed.  Three things I'd
like to see are

1) Actual Downloading
2) List/table of supported platforms (could be combined with download
buttons) along with screentshots and possibly version number of the most
stable version.
3) A description of the graphics toolkits options

Downloading:  The issue with the current "Download" page is that there
isn't anything there that actually downloads the software.  It merely
tells one where to go look for the software.  That's fine for me, but
probably not for a new user.  It would be nice if the link for, say,
SuSE actually brought up the SuSE installation application with the
correct RPM.  I'm sure it is a lot of effort to maintain a Download
page--for example, how is installation going to be dealt with on a
system vs. user basis?  Maybe have one button for SuSE System and one
button for SuSE User?

List of Supported Platforms:  It seems one of the big 4.0
accomplishments is compiling on different platforms.  There are
different hardware platforms, and different OS platforms upon those
hardware platforms from the discussions I've seen.  Mac OS X, Mac Lion,
Cygwin, WinGW, wasn't there someone who compiled Octave for an App or
something?  If someone using each of the platforms updated the download
link and screenshots on occasion, that's adequate.  As another category,
include some screenshots of the legacy CLI version of the software (just
linux, and that's already present on the main page of the current
webpage).  Why version number per platform?  Because I think there
really is some utility to branching per platform if that branch is kept
away from stable/development.

Graphics Toolkits:  Just as with the platforms, it would be nice to
convey info about the options with FLTK, gnuplot and Qt packages.  Some
screenshots on Linux would do along with a description of the benefit of
each (e.g., the gnuplot package gives appealing graphics output).  I
think this is very beneficial to those who don't know what the options
are and to those who want to utilize what they have in the past.

In other words, I like a webpage to provide a little guided tour of the
software and know what my options are before I go through the effort of
installing or choosing a machine on which to install.

Dan

My 2 cents:

- I like the general impression of the new design. The fist page looks modern and the color theme and font are great! - The screenshots suggested by Dan should be presented. I like to look at those when looking for new software. As a user, the screenshots give me a good impression, whether the software is up-to-date and I am going to be able to use it. After the 4.0 release we should have plenty of high quality material to show off. - Home page: The home page is for users who are new to GNU Octave. We have to document what can be done with GNU Octave (like Dan said), as it is currently written in the first paragraph of the old site and is completely missing on the beta site. I suggest to improve the paragraph from the old website by adding more “marketing style / buzzword bingo”. The latter could be linked to details on subpages. Just to give an idea:

GNU Octave is a high-level language for numerical computations, data analysis and visualization. It makes a great tool for prototyping algorithms, performing numerical experiments and solving mathematical problems. GNU Octave is free software under the terms of the GNU General Public License.

   Features:
      * Interfaces to Fortran, C/C++, and Java
      * Natively runs most MATLAB programs
* Core functionality is easily extendable via packages from various fields
      * Multiple supported platforms

- Something that is also missing on the “old” site: There are several subpages but only a small number of fixed top-level links. When I navigate the site I quickly feel lost. I'd prefer to have some feedback where I am. - Downloads: Deeplinks to (stable release) packages on distro sites would be a plus. Also, we could clean up the page with a simple table for faster lookup of the desired information. - I forgot where it was (earlier on https://mtmxr.com/octave-beta/ ?), but I remember a GNU Octave beta website that also highlighted the availability of (forge) packages. This is very important, since the packages add a lot to the overall product. Maybe we can also integrate a package showcase for popular packages. - I must say that the CSS layout on the beta page is in an early state and needs some love before being releasable and before you can say that it looks more professional than the old one. I immediately notice several design errors: (1) Vertical text alignment of the links at the top does not match “GNU Octave” at the top left. (2) Font size, as mentioned by others, is not properly defined (14px * 1.4em) (3) Paragraph width is fixed at 1000px(!), without any margin and thus fails on high or low resulutions or portrait monitor orientation or small screens (4) the margins used for paragraphs, headers, list etc. seem random and don't match the rest of the layout – maybe because everything is defined in the unit px (5) the links at the top should use padding instead of margin to be easier to click on (6) the content page's layout is quite boring: no images, and alot of poorly formatted text.

Oliver