Re: GSoC 2015: Optimization Package: Non-linear and constrained least sq

From: Julien Bect
Subject: Re: GSoC 2015: Optimization Package: Non-linear and constrained least squares lsqcurvefit, lsqlin, lsqnonlin
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 16:11:03 +0100

Le 25/02/2015 15:21, Olaf Till a écrit :
I'm curious, what relation have these people to Matlab -- have they to buy Matlab privately, are they students whose University can't give them licenses, ... ? What do they do after rejecting Octave, pay for Matlab? My experience is that people with free access to Matlab don't think of adopting Octave anyway, except they are personally interested in Free Software. That's no rethorical question only to object to you, I'm really curious about the above.

Lots of different situations, difficult to answer. But yes, I agree with you about people having "free" (or perceived as such, because someone else is paying) access to Matlab.

Typically, think of a small lab or a team in a company that historivally has a few Matlab licences (and a few toolboxes), a more or less important Matlab code base, and wants to spend less on software licences.

They should naturally switch to Octave, since it's advertised to be "Matlab-compatible" and they have several people already familiar with the Matlab langage. But if they get the impression that their programs need to be modified to run under Octave, or that some of their favorite functions (say, fmincon) are actually missing from Octave, they will probably hesitate.

What to they do after that ? Well, they might still decide to give Octave a try (hurrah !), or decide to keep using their Matlab licences (so much for the savings...), or perhaps decide to (try to) switch to another langage (e.g., Python + Numpy, since they hear so much about it these days).

Just for the record: I have also recently helped a PhD student, with prior exposure to Matlab but no Matlab licence in his lab, to get started with Octave (under Linux). He was very happy with Octave and its new GUI, and found all the functions that he needed (mostly linear algebra) right there and working. I really think the new GUI, together with the Windows binaries, will attract a lot of people to Octave.