Re: Unnecessary use of CPPFLAGS in libgui/Makefile.am

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Unnecessary use of CPPFLAGS in libgui/Makefile.am
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 15:12:14 -0500

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 01:59:37 -0800, siko1056 wrote:
> For my Octave builds I use customized CPPFLAGS like "-march=native -O3". Most
> of the GCC flags are not supported by MOC. This breaks my builds and makes
> using customized CPPFLAGS in general pointless, if they lead to a build
> error in libgui.
>
> libgui/Makefile.am (Line 27):
>
> MOC_OCTAVE_CPPFLAGS = $(filter-out -mieee, $(AM_CPPFLAGS) $(CPPFLAGS))
>
> I assume the includes -I should be addressed with this line. Might there be
> a more elegant way to achieve this?

Yes, don't put compiler flags into CPPFLAGS :) Neither "-march=native"
nor "-O3" are options understood by the preprocessor, which is what
CPPFLAGS is for.

That filter-out line is a workaround for a specific case in a gnulib
macro where a compiler flag is incorrectly put into CPPFLAGS.
Otherwise it would not be needed and moc would simply get
$(AM_CPPFLAGS) and $(CPPFLAGS).

--
mike