Re: GSOC project "Improve Octave's image IO"

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: GSOC project "Improve Octave's image IO"
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 17:17:12 +0000

On 22 February 2015 at 14:10, Wolfgang <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> my name is Wolfgang and I am doing my Masters in Mechanical Engineering at
> the TU
> Munich. I would like to start contributing to octave, preferably as
> part of GSOC, if Octave gets accepted as mentoring organization.
> Medical Engineering and thus image processing is a part of my
> studies, so I am very interested in improving octave's image analysis
> and I think the project "Improve Octave's image IO" fits me the most.
> I browsed the short projects page and the bug tracker, but I am still
> wondering
> what would be a good starting point for my first changeset. Maybe
> already something directly related to the handling of image formats?

That will be tough since the main idea of that project is to replace the
thing with something else.  Also, most of the bugs we have related to that
are limitations we inherit from GraphicsMagic.

But there are plenty of things you can do about image processing still that
will start to get you used to Octave.  See for example the list of missing
functions in the image package [1].  Just pick something that you think you
can handle and implement it.  The imtranslate function seems simple enough [2].

Carnë

[1] http://wiki.octave.org/Image_package#Missing_functions
[2] http://uk.mathworks.com/help/images/ref/imtranslate.html