Re: gui-release branch CLOSED

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: gui-release branch CLOSED
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 20:49:40 -0500

On 01/30/2015 08:29 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

Why is the "make install" taking so long?  It used to take just ten
seconds or so, but now it takes over a minute doing all sorts of library
operations like, what looks like, linking and reinstalling.  Is it just
me with some outdated tools?

That's what libtool does.

The default build now comes up as 4.1.0+.

Not for me.  For me, the version on the default branch is now 3.9.0+.

Aha. The problem is that I didn't push all my changes. I thought I had, but it didn't happen because the "@" bookmark didn't advance for the last operations I did. In any case, I've done that now. Update and you should see two more changesets from me.

A few posts back was some
mention about the next release being 4.0.0.  What is the next version
and where in the source tree will it be?  Is stable?

Just before the next release, the default branch will be merged to (and become) the stable branch. When the release is made, the version number will be set to 4.0.0.

So I understand what this classdef issue is, what are we to be watching
out for in terms of bugs?  Here's one thing I notice at startup:

warning: strmatch is obsolete and will be removed from a future version
of Octave,please use strncmp, strcmp, or regexp instead
warning: called from
     strmatch at line 63 column 5
     unique at line 53 column 16
     installed_packages at line 44 column 10
     load_packages at line 26 column 22
     pkg at line 419 column 7
     /usr/local/share/octave/4.1.0+/m/startup/octaverc at line 20 column 1

I don't see that.  I have no idea why it is happening for you.

A side comment after looking at the HTML graph in the repository:  I
generally like the HTML interface for Mercurial, but I sure wish the
graph feature had a key to go along with the color-coded branches.  I
know that the branch names appear next to the changesets, but I can't
ever seem to make sense of what the connections are in the branch graph.
  On the other hand, TortoiseHg has a graph that is a much clearer
depiction of what is happening.  It lists the branch name in color and
uses a color dot that coincides with that branch name.

Use TortoiseHg if you like it better. Or help to fix the web interface for mercurial (and get a newer version installed on savannah). These problems are not really Octave issues, are they?