Re: Release Ideas

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: Release Ideas
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 14:50:28 -0500

On Jan 28, 2015, at 12:04 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 01/28/2015 08:19 AM, Carnë Draug wrote:
>
>> I though that the plan for the 4.0.0 release was also to distribute official
>> binaries for Windows and Mac.  Is this still part of the plan?  I was under
>> the impression that this was going well for Windows at least.
>
> Yes.  I think we have Windows mostly handled at this point, though there will
> be some details to take care of, like dealing with the sources so that we
> properly comply with the GPL for our binary release.  I don't know what to do
> about OS X except to say that it is not an officially supported platform, at
> least until someone steps forward and can do the work to provide some kind of
> easy-to-install binary package.  My apologies if this has already happened as
> I'm not aware of one.

I know it is a cop-out, but is it really too hard to ask people to go to a
terminal and type:
ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"

and then type:
brew tap homebrew/science
brew install gfortran
brew update && brew upgrade
brew install gcc
brew install octave

I know this is a bit harder, but for a "unsupported" platform it is still quite
easy. The only issue is that for the homebrew recipe that the gui is not the
default and you have to run "octave --force-gui"

John S.