Re: GUI editor

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: GUI editor
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2014 13:18:23 -0600

On 12/20/2014 10:47 AM, Torsten wrote:

Would it be possible to handle the exit-command of octave in a special
way when the gui is running? The command would have to signal a
close-request to the gui. Closing the whole application is then handled
by the gui as if the request came from the gui.

For OctConf I put together some notes which classified GUI/worker thread interaction as

1) Initiated by GUI
2) Initiated by command line

They are different.

The former is some action that takes place in the GUI (e.g., variable editor) that alters the contents of octave memory. For those actions, I proposed a background queue.

The latter is some command that alters the appearance of the GUI, opens some dialog box, etc. For those actions I propose a means by which the GUI (be it Qt, or any other toolkit) can install its own command which overrides existing commands, much in the same way that C++ can override functions of the base class--yet still be able to call the functions of the main class. It's a way to slip in some action before the base action takes effect (or possibly condition the calling of the base action). That way, it falls on the GUI developer to customize behavior.

Dan