[MXE MinGW] miscompiled gcc for --enable64?

From: JohnD
Subject: [MXE MinGW] miscompiled gcc for --enable64?
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2014 09:43:17 -0500

Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2014 14:58:02 -0800 (PST)
From: Philip Nienhuis <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden

With a cross-built mxe-octave with 64-bit indexing (--enable64), building OF
packages fails because g++, gcc and c++ all bail out with the message:

"C:\Programs\.....\bin\g++.exe is not a valid Win32 application."
(of course, similarly for c++.exe and gcc.exe)

In addition, cc.exe seems to be missing.

Running these commands in an MSYS shell gives:

address@hidden /c/programs/octave/octave64-3.9.0+-4.1.0+/bin
$ gcc
sh: ./gcc: Bad file number
address@hidden /c/programs/octave/octave64-3.9.0+-4.1.0+/bin
$ ls -l gcc
-rwxr-xr-x 1 philip Administrators 0 Dec  5 21:02 gcc

(funny, I'm not administrator but "user". Running MSYS as administrator
doesn't make a difference though, I get the same issues)

Can someone confirm this?

__run_test_suite__ with 3.9.0+ (64bit indexing) gives:
  PASS     11562
  FAIL        12
  XFAIL        9
  SKIPPED     65
(similar or equal to what I reported a few months ago on the task tracker
(http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?13313).

An older cross-built 64-bit indexing mingw Octave (Oct. 31; built on another
machine) runs fine on the same box; gcc.exe, cc.exe, c++.exe and g++.exe
yield meaningful messages.

My build system: Mageia-4 64; mxe-octave: 8657bb199f09 tip @ (zeromq: update
to v4.0.5)
./configure --enable-64     (and I've manually adapted octave.mk for 4.1.0+
/ 3.9.0+ checksums)

Host system:  Windows 7 Prof. 64-bit

Thanks,

Philip

-----

I made a new mxe-build with --enable-windows-64 last night on my system
(current mxe hg as of last night), but only using octave 3.8.2.

Built on mint linux 17
Running  64 bit running in Win 7 Prof - service pack 1 - 64bit
  PASS     11402
  FAIL        16

Running build_packages.m from the gui compiles everything ok
Running from a msys console window:
set OCT_HOME=%~dp0
set PATH=%OCT_HOME%\bin;%PATH%
set TERM=cygwin
%OCT_HOME%\bin\bash.exe

bash-3.1$ gcc
gcc.exe: fatal error: no input files
compilation terminated.
bash-3.1$

I have also built using fedora in the last week with no issues.

I will retry with a later octave, however think it will run fine for me.

JDD