Re: A case for C++11 in Octave

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: A case for C++11 in Octave
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2014 13:29:04 -0600

On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 11:29:34 +0100, c. wrote:

> On 14 Nov 2014, at 17:58, Carnë Draug <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Or instead of aiming for a specific C++ standard, we could aim for the
> > standard features
> > implemented on at least a specific version of gcc.
>
> what features in particular would you like to start using?

I'm also interested in seeing which particular features you're
interested in using for Octave.

> We should at least check carefully and document clearly what
> minimum version of c++/clang++/icc/XL-c++ we will be requiring.

+1

I'm a little on the skeptical side I guess, I lean more towards keeping
backwards and compiler-neutral compatibility, but if the group agrees it
would be advantageous to start using some C++11 features, I can be
flexible.

At this point in time it might be nice to continue supporting at least
gcc 4.4, to continue to be open to new contributors using "stable"
distro releases.

Thanks,

--
mike