Re: README file is out-of-date

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: README file is out-of-date
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 10:34:29 -0400

On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 00:34:02 -0400, Hrishikesh Bakshi wrote:
> Hi all,
> The README file claims: "The file BUGS explains the recommended
> procedure for reporting bugs or contributing patches." There is no
> such file in the repository. May be we could information from:
> http://jordi.inversethought.com/blog/how-to-write-a-patch-for-octave/
> ?
>
> Also, the INSTALL file is in the directory 'gnulib-hg/doc'. The README
> file mentions the INSTALL file but doesn't specify this path.
>
> I just started using octave and hope to contribute to the development.

Hi Hrishi,

Actually both of these files *are* in the source distribution of
Octave, but not in the Mercurial repository (which is probably what
you are looking at). There are several files that are built from other
files which are intentionally not in the repository, but are referred
to as if they exist (assuming the reader is working with a prepared
source distribution).

The files AUTHORS, BUGS, ChangeLog, INSTALL, and INSTALL.OCTAVE are
all generated from other sources as part of the build. And maybe
README should be referring to INSTALL.OCTAVE instead of INSTALL?

I hope that explains what you are seeing and that there is not a
problem. Can you suggest ways to present this better or explain
somewhere that certain files are part of the Octave source package but
are not in a pristine clone of the repository?

Thanks,

--
mike