Matlab has implemented flip after only 10 years - deprecate flipdim

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Matlab has implemented flip after only 10 years - deprecate flipdim
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 01:31:38 +0100

Hi

during the codesprint this weekend (before I figured that the subject
was going to increase line coverage), I added a new function, flip,
and deprecated flipdim [1]. The function flip is exactly the same as
flipdim, the only difference being that the first exists in Matlab
(since R2014a - only 10 years after Octave).

I'm kinda regretting deprecating it because package maintainers will
not have a chance to write code that works in both 4.0.X and 4.2.X
without triggering warnings or errors. I think it kinda makes sense to
deprecate flipdim in favour of flip (although it does annoy me folding
to Mathworks every time), but it maybe it could go through a phase of
semi, non-official deprecation, where it does not cause any warning,
it is only noticed on the NEWS, and only properly deprecated after 1
release.

Carnë

[1] http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/995df67fc912