Re: Install munge-texi.pl for use by packages?

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Install munge-texi.pl for use by packages?
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 11:09:53 -0700 (PDT)

John W. Eaton wrote
> On 07/07/2014 12:50 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
>
>> Yep, exactly as Carlo said, no reason for duplication, if we can
>> replace this with an Octave script or function, it can also be used to
>> build Octave's own manual as well.
>>
>> I think these are great ideas, please file a wishlist bug on Octave to
>> replace munge-texi.pl with an equivalent Octave function that can be
>> used for both Octave's manual and for package manuals.
>
> I'd like to be able to cross compile packages so that we can cross
> compile a complete Octave distribution that includes packages that are
> already built and ready to install along with Octave.  Will having this
> script as an Octave function make that job harder?
>
> For example, we can't currently cross compile Octave directly from the
> mercurial sources because doing so requires running the copy of Octave
> that is being built in order to create figures for the manual.  And when
> doing a cross build, that doesn't work.  I suppose that making the
> munge-texi script an Octave function would make that problem slightly
> worse because then building would fail if you modified the manual
> sources, not just if you modified the source file for one of the figures.
>
> If we do go down this path, then I suppose a solution for cross
> compiling would be to require that we build (or use, if it is already
> installed on the system) a corresponding native version of Octave that
> can be executed on the build system to generate the figures and perform
> the munge-texi step.

At the moment, when cross-compiling, the core Octave docs also need to be in
place beforehand. So a native Octave version is required anyway for
non-stable releases.

Another option would be to postpone building the package docs to the moment
the Windows binary gets installed on a Windows system (i.e., when Octave can
run natively). That would require a new pkg flag ("build_docs" or so) and an
extra instruction in the installer.

Philip