Re: [OF] Gold codes in communication pkg?

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: [OF] Gold codes in communication pkg?
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2014 12:21:42 +0200

On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 1:05 AM, Carnë Draug <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 2 June 2014 19:02, Juan Pablo Carbajal <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>
>>> Would be nice if you could make a Matlab compatible version of such
>>> function [1]. This would make it dependent on a development version of
>>> Octave since it will require classdef.
>>>
>>> Carnë
>>>
>>> [1] http://www.mathworks.co.uk/help/comm/ref/comm.goldsequence-class.html
>>
>> How exactly do you suggest to proceed to make something compatible?
>> That is an object not a function, as was my offer.
>>
>> Even if one provides an option parser that accepts and works more or
>> less similarly, this will still be completely not-portable, since
>> other methods are needed for the generation and administration of the
>> sequence.
>
> Well, it's your work so you can do whichever way is better for you.
> ideally, you could write it using classdef (Matlab compatible), use it
> in your own work (if you are using development version), and then we
> would only release it as part of the communications package once
> classdef is also released (4.2). It wouldn't be the first time we hold
> packages releases until a specific Octave release happens. Or you
> could simply branch comm for stuff that will be dependent on 4.2 so
> others can continue working and releasing the communications package.
>
> I guess this would be the ideal case. I'm unsure if the current state
> of classdef is enough to implement the goldsequence options you
> specifically want, if using development version is acceptable for your
> work, or if you have the extra time working with classdef may take.
>
> Carnë

Hi Carnë,

I see, it doesn't sound like heaven to me. I do not use classdef and
so far I haven't had the need to do so.
So this would be extra work that I am not sure I can afford at the moment.
I will try to implement a core gold sequence generator that could
eventually be ported to classdef (though I think there is not such
thing as classdef portable, being such a different paradigm).
If that is the plan then I wont spend time implementing all the
details of the matlab interface.

I guess this is the best I can offer at the moment.

Cheers